At the beginning of the new semester, you receive your personal “SemesterTicket”. This ticket enables you to use bus transport in Lüneburg as well as regional trains in all of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) for free – this ensures you always have the capacity to be on time for your classes and lectures. To finance this you are required to pay a relatively small contribution fee each semester. The offer is enabled via the solidarity principle,which means that every student pays the fee.
Should you lose your semester ticket (which also has your student ID on the back), you can report this to the students’ services (building 8) and receive a replacement for 5€.
You can find the route network here.
Also included in your semester ticket are:
– All busses in the city and district of Lüneburg (KVG)
– Radspeicher Lüneburg (the bicycle park at the train station). Please note: At the beginning of each semester, you have to obtain a (new) pass at the counter
– SemesterTicket Kultur
In addition, the semester ticket is valid for the use of StadtRAD Lüneburg (city shared bikes). You can save the annual fee by enrolling with your @stud.leuphana.de Email on the following website: www.stadtradlueneburg.de. There you can also find information about the courses etc.
The semester ticket does not cover the following:
- HVV overall network (no busses, underground or commuter trains in Hamburg) – sole exception: S3 commuter train on the route Hamburg Hbf – Stade and S31 Hamburg Hbf – Neugraben)
- Interregio-Express on the route Hamburg – Lüneburg – Uelzen – Berlin
- taking your bicycle on the train (permitted on KVG-system buses, as long as space is available)
As the inexpensive offer of the SemesterTicket is only possible thanks to the solidarity principle, each and every student is required to pay the fee.
Exempted from the contribution are (in accordance with our contracts):
- students on leave – further training, online and distance learning students
- guest auditors
- evening course students
- severely disabled students (must hold pass with a valid stamp in accordance with a hardship application)
Hardship cases and refund
For students who cannot afford or use their semester ticket, it is possible to claim a refund out of the student budget. The following cases of hardship apply:
- Following SGB IX, severely disabled students (must hold an official severely disabled person’s pass with valid stamp) have the right to claim free transportation
- Severe disability to a degree of at least 50 without distinguishing feature
- Care of relatives and legal guardians of severely disabled children
- Financial reasons
- Health reasons
- Maternity protection
- Currently there is also a refund due to absence because of the COVID Pandamic. At the moment, this option is not integrated into the hardship case regulation. Therefore you can find the regulations here:
- the applicant has to prove, that they are only participating in online classes this semester and that the housing enrollment is placed outside the ambit of the Semesterticket (this includes all the cities reachable by the Semesterticket, Lower Saxony but also Hamburg etc).
- the deadline for application is the 30.11.2020
- more detailed information what your application has to provide, you can find on the application paper
- also the other regulations mentioned in the hardship case regulation apply here
The contribution fee for the semester ticket can only be refunded if at least one of the above mentioned cases of hardship applies. Exceptions to this are not possible. You can find the hardship case regulation in German here.